20091228

GENERATION KILL



i'm watching Generation Kill for the 3rd time... it's one of the best shows i have ever seen! the dialogue is heart-thumpingly delicious, the actors are mind blowing and the tempo of the filming is perfection plus the political portrayal of the pointless invasion is outlined to the T. Heaven on a DVD...

Generation Kill the TV show is based on a book by Rolling Stone reporter Evan Wright who was embedded with the 1st Marines Reconnaissance Battalion during the 2003 invasion of Iraq. i have yet to read the book but the banter and camaraderie outlined by Wright and relayed in the TV show is what makes the story.

here's some dialogue excerpts i adored (there's so much more, you'll just have to watch the show):

Trombley: Hey Ray, didn't your mom put your picture up on the Wal-mart Wall Of Heroes?
Ray: Yep. My grandma did when I went to Afghanistan. I'm on the Nevada, Missouri Wal-Mart Wall of heroes. Even got my dress blues on.
Brad: If my mother ever distributed my likeness without written authorization, I would disown her
Ray: Technically speaking, Brad, but didn't your biological parents disown you when they put you up for adoption?
Brad: Point, Ray. I was one of those unfortunates adopted by upper-middle-class professionals and nurtured in an environment of learning, art, and socio-religious culture steeped in over two thousand years of Talmudic tradition. Not everyone is lucky enough to have been raised in a Whiskey Tango trailer park by a bowlegged female whose sole qualification for motherhood is a womb that happened to catch a sperm of a passing truck diver.
Ray: At least my mom took me to NASCAR!

Trombley: Sergeant, I didn't get to shoot!
Ray: That fucking sucks, Trombley. Did your recruiting officer tell you you'd get to shoot people?
Trombley: Fucking A he did!
Ray: See, Trombley asked about shooting people. I asked about pussy. The guy told me I'd get to go to Thailand and get all kinds of strange. What'd you ask about, Brad? Brad probably saw that TV commercial, the one with the knight that fucks up the dragon that turns into the Marine.
Walt: Woo woo! Dress blues with a sword!
Ray: Fucking dress blues commercial man. That got so many fucking guys. Now look at us: Trombley hasn't killed anybody, I'm half a world away from good Thai pussy, and Brad is out here rolling around fuckbutt Iraq hunting for dragons in a MOPP suit that smells like four days of piss and ball sweat. You should have rolled into battle with a sword, Brad, that would have fucking rocked!

No comments:

Post a Comment